Website – Scentwork UK
Facebook group – Scentwork UK
Scentwork is fun, very rewarding and at the same time mentally tiring for your dog. It can be set up anywhere, even in the luxury of your own home – a brilliant past time during those dark and cold nights. Dogs can be trained to find food, their favorite toy or to find specific scents.
Scentwork will improve the relationship between you and your dog. It is a great confidence builder especially for the shy dog. Scentwork is suitable for all breeds of dogs and ages including puppies.
For those that don’t live too far from Finmere, Buckinghamshire, I run 3 hour sessions every two weeks. The cost per session will be £20 and limited to 8 persons. What you will learn:
- How to teach the dog to find a specific scent.
- Teach a passive indication
- Understanding the ‘scent picture’ and reading your dog’s body language.
- How to link scents with a variety of items
- Create more difficult scenting challenges.
- How to get your dog to ignore food and toys whilst searching.
- How to teach commitment to scent source.
- Teach early directional commands
- The do’s and don’ts to minimize scent contamination
- How to deal with false indications.
- How to teach several finds per area.
- There is the option of accreditation by entering the ‘Scentwork UK’ trials for those wishing to progress.
- Training held on: Wednesdays, Thursdays & Sundays at Finmere Village Hall.
- Training sessions both for beginners and the more experienced trainer.
- Wednesdays 1pm – 4pm, Thursdays 2pm- 5pm
- Monthly sessions on Sundays.
- Cost £20 per session
‘Train the trainers’ – workshops
Train the trainer workshops will show dog trainers/clubs how to structure a ten to twelve week course and lesson plans for each of the Levels. Once the trainer/club has completed the course they will be included on the training page of ‘Scentwork UK’ trainer/club at the appropriate Level.
Sunday 5th February – Newbury Berks
Contact Heather Donnelly
Tel: 07952589987 email to email@example.com
For other dog clubs as a guest trainer
I can offer evenings or weekend work shops to dog clubs to show you how to get started.
I can travel to your choice of training venue as a guest trainer and show a variety of ‘searching’ games that you can play at home with your dog and that can lead to accreditation.
The sessions will be for 3 hours and can include handlers (maximum 8 ) and up to 20 spectators.
The evening will teach:
- How to teach you dog to find things
- How to teach a passive indication
- How to get your dog to find the scent you want.
Workshops run for various clubs so far:
- Jennie Fairweather Dog Training
- Southam DTC
- Little Revel End
- Avon DTC
- Banbury DTC
- Laura Wylie Dog Training
‘Train the Trainers’ – workshops
Scentwork UK is now able to offer ‘Train the Trainers’ days which will show dog trainers/clubs how to structure a ten to twelve week course and lesson plans for each of the Levels. Once the trainer/club has completed the course they will be included on the training page of ‘Scentwork UK’ as a trainer/club at the appropriate Level. Cost – £50